La union particularly the municipality of San Juan has been making trends lately as a surfing destination in Northern Luzon. It’s proximity to Manila makes it a popular weekend getaway or even for long staying guest who chooses to work by the beach instead of staying in the capital. I had been to San Juan way before it became too popular and decided to revisit and share some good places on where to stay in La Union.
After my 5-day stay in Baguio, I didn’t feel like returning to Manila yet so I decided to take a bus and go down to La Union. From Gov. Pack Road, Baguio Terminal near SM Baguio. You can take a bus bound for Abra or Ilocos just tell the driver to drop you at San Juan, La Union. Travel time is just 2 hours and 30 mins and costs P150 or $2.50.
Where to stay in La Union?
If you are traveling on a budget, there are plenty of decent budget accommodations that you can book in San Juan. Below are some of my recommendations.
Northwing Apartelle (Transient Unit 8) is the best value accommodation in La union with an average rate of P1,300 or $23 per night. The unit is roughly 7 – 10 minutes away from Kabsat & Flotsam and Jetsam. They have free parking, complete kitchen utensils, and approximately 10mins walk to the beach.
Click this link to get a discounted rate at Northwing Apartelle
The Circle Hostel La Union – if you are traveling alone and on a tight budget, The Circle Hostel La Union is the right place for you with an average rate of P670 or $12 per night on a mixed bunk bedroom. Their staff has always been accommodating. However, one thing you can note is the consistency of the cleanliness of the place. It’s great value for my money, especially for backpackers who would like to meet other solo travelers.
Click this link to get a discounted rate at Circle Hostel
G Hotel La Union although not on the beachside but just along the main highway with many restaurants nearby. The hotel rooms are located on the 3rd floor without a lift. There’s a local bank ATM downstairs if you need to withdraw some cash. Their room is consistently clean, has good cooling air-conditioned, has good water pressure, and has very helpful front desk staff. Their standard double room is only P1,700 or $30 per night
Click this link to get a discounted rate at G Hotel
Isla Bonita Beach Resort is known for having friendly staff, comfortable rooms, and a very accessible area. This resort is perfect for a big group or maybe even couples. The resort is in the quiet area of San Juan, so if you are looking for a budget place to relax in San Juan this is the best choice for you. Their deluxe room average rate per night is P2,900.
Click this link to get a discounted rate at La Isla Bonita Beach Resort
Here are some of my travel tips if you’re planning to visit San Juan, La Union.
- Some bars like flotsam and jetsam and popular small food place like Tagpuan are closed on Tuesdays. I believe Tuesday is the typical rest day for people working in San Juan.
- There is still a drinking curfew until 11PM
- If you want to relax and enjoy the beach, I highly recommend weekdays. There are few travelers visiting La Union on weekdays.
- I find San Juan expensive—food and drinks are expensive. I feel like I’m spending in Boracay when I was here.
- El Union Coffee is an okay place to stay if you are working on your laptop since they have a power outlet but they have a slow internet connection.
- Fat wave is an okay place to chill if you just want to sit and enjoy watching people.
- Kabsat is a good spot for sunset.
- The surfing lesson is now P500 for 1 hour.
- The highway of San Juan at night is really dark because the street lights are not working. You really need to be extra careful if you will walk on the road at night.
- There is a high case of theft rate in San Juan, be extra careful of your things.
- If you are coming back to Manila via bus, Viron transit is cheaper than Partas. I pay P530 from SFC to Balintawak. But I think they are much slower, the travel time is 7 hours.
If you are on a tight budget and looking for a private room or a mixed dorm room to stay in La Union. I hope this article on where to stay in La Union will help you. Want to browse more La Union Accommodations? Just click this link to see more list. If you want to read more about my previous La Union article you can visit this link.